Expensive skin care products are not necessary to maintain healthy skin
People do not need expensive skin care products to have glowing and healthy skin, said dermatologist Dr. Amy J. Derick who offered tips on how individuals can maintain healthy skin and save money on skin care costs.
“[First of all], every good skin care routine should follow three simple steps: cleanse, treat, and prevent,” said Dr. Derick who is clinical instructor of dermatology at Northwestern University in Evanston, Il.
Use of sunscreen to prevent wrinkles, sun spots and skin cancer
Use of a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher before going outdoors is one of the most effective ways to maintain healthy skin, Dr. Derick commented on behalf of the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD).
“Sunscreen prevents wrinkles, sun spots and even skin cancer, making it the most effective skin care product you can buy,” said Dr. Derick, who was quoted in a press release from the AAD.
Buy skin care products that are formulated for skin type
Beyond sunscreen, Dr. Derick says it is important for patients to identify their skin type before starting any skin care routine:
- Sensitive skin may sting or burn after product use - Normal skin is clear and not sensitive - Dry skin is flaky, itchy or rough - Oily skin is shiny and greasy - Combination skin is dry in some areas and oily in others
“Expensive skin care products are not necessarily better,” said Dr. Derick. “Instead, it’s more important to buy skin care products that are formulated for your skin type. If your skin tends to be oily, select a product made for oily skin. If you have sensitive skin, look for the words ‘fragrance-free’ on labels.”
Dr. Derick also recommends the following tips:
1. To select the most effective products, pay attention to product ingredients. For example, if a person has acne-prone skin, cleansers that contain either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid can help clear some people’s skin. If a person is concerned about fine lines and wrinkles then they should look for products containing retinol.
2. Consider using dual-function products, such as a moisturizer with sunscreen. The sunscreen should be broad-spectrum and have a SPF of 30 or higher.
3. Cleanse skin before applying skin care products and before going to bed. Cleansing removes dirt, oil and debris, and helps prevent clogged pores and breakouts.
4. Get the most from a moisturizer by applying it to damp skin as soon as you get out of the shower to lock in moisture.
5. Limit the number of skin care products that are use.d Using too many products on your skin, especially more than one anti-aging product, tends to irritate the skin and make signs of aging more noticeable.
6. Apply sunscreen before going outside and reapply sunscreen every few hours or immediately after swimming or sweating.
7. Consider using petroleum jelly. This inexpensive product can have several uses, including moisturizing dry skin and nails and treating minor injuries. However, avoid using petroleum jelly on the face, as this may cause acne in some people.